Business Green Hub
We are here to support business customers to transition to net zero and to develop and deploy low carbon technologies, through our core financing and advisory capabilities.
Climate change is one of the greatest challenges of our age. At Bank of Ireland, we are committed to helping our customers, colleagues and communities as they move to a greener world.
In line with the Irish and UK governments’ ambitions, we support the transition to a resilient, net-zero economy by 2050.
Businesses are encouraged to invest in a greener future, through sustainable products, services and business models. Here are some of the benefits for businesses becoming more sustainable:
- It’s important to your reputation. Customers want and expect businesses to be more sustainable.
- It can improve your finances. Becoming a more sustainable business can be cost-efficient and can help grow profits.
- Support is available. There are currently many programmes and grants in place to help businesses transition to net-zero.
How to get started
Identify your key environmental, social and governance impacts
There’s a lot to do so setting priorities is key. The overall picture will be different for every business but there are some fundamentals, including carbon emissions, energy management, waste management, employee wellbeing, and community engagement.
Track your progress
Measure where you are now. For example, track kWh of electricity purchased/litres of fuel purchased/hours of training provided for employees or how you help your community. Then start recording and documenting these metrics.
Plot your sustainability journey
What have you done so far and what’s your plan the next 3 years?
Seek support and take action
At this point, you may have some ideas or have identified areas in which you think that you need to improve. For example, providing energy training for employees, upgrading your buildings, or supporting a local community group. The good news is that there are lots of supports available. These include free training, grants for a wide range of initiatives and even a Government online toolkit to guide you – see the links, below.
Make the most of any opportunities
Let others know about your sustainability journey. Business and private customers will be glad to see you focusing on ESG. This, in turn, can drive customer loyalty, so share your plans online and in person where appropriate.
The Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI)
The SEAI provides training and support to SMEs to help them become more energy-efficient, including:
- Energy Audits – an energy audit is a good starting point for SMEs to find out how much energy the business uses and what is required to reduce energy consumption. Your business may be entitled to a €2,000 voucher towards an energy audit.
- SEAI Energy Academy – this is a free, online, e-learning platform designed to help businesses increase their energy efficiency and reduce their energy related costs.
- Grants – a number of grants are available to SMEs aiming to improve energy efficiency.
Check out Energy Efficiency Training for SMEs for more information.
Citizens information provides an excellent one-stop shop of information for SMEs ranging from financial supports available to SMEs to training and mentoring services.
Check out Supports for businesses going green for more information.
Climate Toolkit 4 Business
The Climate Toolkit 4 Business is an online government resource to help your business take climate action. Businesses can create a tailored climate action plan by following some simple steps. It will provide you with practical and cost-effective actions to benefit your business. Click here for more information.